Translate

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

God is One

There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. Ephesians 4:4-6

We believe there is one God. One God, not two or six or fifteen. One of the hardest aspects of God is the idea of the Holy Trinity. If God is one, why do we talk about three? God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. That's three—but we say there is one God. That makes no sense. How can one be three?

You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior.” Isaiah 43:10-11

Here we have from the mouth of God himself that he is the only God that has ever existed or will ever exist. He declares that He himself is the savior and that there is no other savior save for him. So if the Bible says that Jesus Christ is the Savior, then he MUST be God, because the Bible says there is no savior apart from God. But if Jesus is God, then why does he call God Father? Why not just call God, 'me'? And where does this Holy Spirit thing come in?

But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. Titus 3:4-7

So here the Bible confirms: It states that God is our Savior, and it also positively states that he saves us through rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, and that Jesus Christ is our Savior. It speaks of all three, yet, it also says God is one. The best way I have heard to explain this is like this: we as human beings, have three parts to us. We have a body, a soul, and a spirit. We all have three parts; yet we call ourselves one person. God is the same; he has three parts, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, yet he is one God.

No comments:

Post a Comment